[Get a free evaluation of your bankruptcy case by a qualified attorney.]

How do you recover money from a stop payment placed on a personal check given to you?

My husband made an agreement with a man to purchase his motorcycle, by paying of the total amount of the loan that the man had owed to harley davidson. They agreed on the selling price of $10,900. But, the amount to pay off the seller's loan with harley was $11,330.36. So, my husband got a certified bank check made out for the $11,330.36, and my husband and seller verbally agreed that the seller would just rebate my husband back the $433.36 with a check, at time of bike pick up (for which we drove 6 states away to get!).

We then find out a week later, as my husband waited a few days to deposit the check into his acct, that the seller placed a stop payment on the personal check he wrote for $433.36. We have been calling and leaving messages ---they refuse to call us back. We found out that the husband and wife both filed for bankruptcy back in 1998 or so, and we really want an explanation from them on this. This is stealing and it should not be legal to stop payment on a personal check, just because someone doesnt feel like paying somebody after an agreement was made!!!! We called the police in the seller's town ---but their laws dont cover stop payments on checks (in NH). They also said they couldnt do anything b/c it was under $500.

[Get a free evaluation of your bankruptcy case by a qualified attorney.]

Have a question? Ask your legal question now and get answer in a few minutes. Know the answer? Lawyers or knowledgeable lay persons may provide informative responses to this and other questions by contacing us for instructions. Receive linkbacks to your website for helping.
Related Law Articles

Related Law Questions

Search for other answers or ask a legal expert for as little as $15.

Related Law Bulletins

Lawyers! Become an Approved Expert to Answer Questions.
US Law
#1 Online Legal Resource

Your Blog Subscriptions
Subscribe to blogs

10,000+ Law Job Listings
Lawyer . Police . Paralegal . Etc
Earn a law-related degree

Practice Area
Zip Code:

Contact a Lawyer Now!


0.9633 secs