Home -> Law Blog Directory -> Taxation & Estate Planning Blogs -> IRS and the Law

OR PHONE (866) 635-1838 for Bankruptcy Help, (866) 635-6190 for Divorce,
(866) 635-2689 for Personal Injury or (866) 635-9402 for Criminal Defense

Find a Local Lawyer

Bankruptcy (866) 635-1838
Divorce (866) 635-6190
Personal Injury (866) 635-2689
Criminal Defense (866) 635-9402


Taxation & Estate Planning

: IRS and the Law

Can the IRS take my spouse?s income if only I am liable?

By howardlevy


The IRS cannot take collection action against the separate income of a non-liable spouse.

If separate tax returns are filed, only the person who signed and filed the returnis legally obligated to pay the taxes. If your spouse did not sign or file a joint return with you, then the IRS cannot collect from him or her.

If joint returns were filed during a prior marriage, the IRS cannot collect your old liability from your new spouse.

Even if a joint return was filed, the IRS has innocent spouse rules to protect a spouse who claims “innocence” as to the liability. Innocence generally means the spouse did not know or had no reason to know of the liability and received no benefit from the unpaid taxes. If the IRS grants relief, it will not collect from the innocent spouse even if a joint return was filed.

The IRS also cannot take any separate assets of your spouse, like cars and real estate. However, if the asset is yours and you place it in your spouse’s name, the IRS can pursue your spouse for recovery.

Full post as published by IRS and the Law on January 17, 2009 (boomark / email).

Bloggers, promote your law blog by nominating your blog for inclusion in's Law Blog Directory and RSS Reader. Benefits described.
Related Law Blog Posts
Search Blog Directory:

Search Blog Directory:

Related Law Articles

Lawsuits and Settlements

Related Searches

US Law
#1 Online Legal Resource

Your Blog Subscriptions
Subscribe to blogs

10,000+ Law Job Listings
Lawyer . Police . Paralegal . Etc
Earn a law-related degree
Are you the author of this blog? Adding to your Blogroll increases relevance. You qualify to display a USLaw Network badge.
Suggest changes to this blog's description or nominate another for inclusion. Register for updates.

Practice Area
Zip Code:

Contact a Lawyer Now!

0.7102 secs (new cache)