Home -> Law Blog Directory -> International Law Blogs -> China Law Blog
(866) 635-2689 for Personal Injury or (866) 635-9402 for Criminal Defense
Find a Local Lawyer
Divorce (866) 635-6190
Personal Injury (866) 635-2689
Criminal Defense (866) 635-9402
International Law: China Law Blog
Our China Entertainment Lawyer Rocking The Movie Biz
By Dan Harris
Our lead China entertainment lawyer (and regular CLB contributor), Mathew Alderson, was just named by Variety Magazine as one of 50 “Game-Changing Attorneys” who “rock the [entertainment law] biz.” And, hey, we couldn’t be prouder. The list consists of those “attorneys whose recent deals and court battles have changed the shape of entertainment,” and near as we can tell, Mathew is the only one based in China.
Variety had this to say about Mathew:
Harris & Moure, Beijing
University of Queensland, Australia, 1989
Over the past 18 months Alderson has advised on various ventures between Chinese and foreign partners, including feature co-productions, theatrical joint ventures and post-production alliances. The latter have included a number of 3D initiatives — a hot area in China. This work has put him at the point of convergence between China’s production, post and exhibition businesses. “Here in China there are no ancillaries, there’s very little legitimate income stream other than box office, so people are very focused on box office,” Alderson says. “The only way to fully access box office is to co-produce, because co-productions are entitled to a higher box office share than foreign imports.”
We like it.
If you are interested in China movie law, check out the following posts Mathew has written for us:
- Financing China Movie Co-Productions. Australian Producer Offsets Can Work.
- Aussiewood Film Finance And China Co-Productions. Ever The Twain Shall Meet?
- China And Hollywood: A Toxic Mix?
- China?s Film Industry Promotion Law. How Do Tudou/Yokou Investors Sleep At Night?
- Aussiewood Comes To Beijing: The Australia-China Film Industry Forum
- China?s Film Industry Promotion Law. A Discussion Of The Discussion Draft.
- Disney-DMG?s Iron Man 3 Co-Production. The Shape Of China Movies To Come.Sino-Foreign Film Co-Productions in China
- China?s Sino-Foreign Film Co-Productions. Show Me The Money.
- Foreign Investment in Chinese Movie Theaters
- China Eases Foreign Film Quota. Maybe.
- Getting Your Share From China?s Movie Box Office. Good Luck With That.
- China Film Law Q And A
- China Film Law Q And A. Part II
- China Film Law Q And A. Part III
- Don?t Be A Bull In The China [Movie Production] Shop. A Seminar In Australia
- US-China Film Co-Production Summit
- Protecting Hollywood Films in China Makes Sense For China
- Making Films in China. You Talkin? To Me?
Search Blog Directory: